Shop Your Closet: Remix
Item to Remix: Off white, gray and black cowl neck dress that I bought thrifted almost 10 years ago.
Originally, worn with a pair of black leggings, the black faux leather belt that came with the dress, hot pink ruffled suede peep toe pumps from Steve Madden and hot pink earrings.
This remix was certainly outside my comfort zone. For some reason, if a dress is not knee length or longer (preferably longer) I feel a little insecure. I do not like feeling like the goods will be inadvertently on display with one miscalculated move. YIKES!! Surprisingly, I did not feel that insecurity wearing this dress, well, as a dress. I wore the belt that came with the dress except this time I tied it in the back. Obnoxiously large yellow disk earrings and slate gray booties were just the right finishing touches for my desired look.
For my next remixed look, I threw on a pair of gray corduroy skinny pants, a thick black belt with silver hardware worn at the smallest point of my body (with the dress scrunched up so it hit about mid-thigh and off one shoulder), a silver chunky necklace, black perforated peep toe booties and my gray fedora from Express.
So here are the key takeaways for this weeks shop your closet:
1) Do not be afraid to swap out the belt that came with your dress darling. You'll be surprised the difference it will make!
2) Don't let color scare you... A simple pop of color can be the difference between a visually interesting overall look and a "blah" look
3) Who says you have to wear the piece as it was intended? Get creative...make your top one shoulder or off shoulder, wear a dress with pants!
4) The easiest way to create a totally different look is by accessorizing...add a hat, bold statement jewelry or scarf!
5) Wear a totally different style of shoe...here I wore peep toe pumps, ankle booties and mid-calf peep toe booties!
Photo Credits: All photos are the property of Khalilah Jones